Tuesday, December 3, 2002

God our Father, by the preaching of Francis Xavier you brought many nations to yourself. Give his zeal for the faith to all who believe in You, that your Church may rejoice in continued growth throughout the world. Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



The Opening Prayer, printed in Magnificat, from the Mass for the memorial of Saint Francis Xavier, patron of missions and missionaries, celebrated today.



The hymn O Deus Ego Amo Te was long attributed to him and is translated as My God I Love Thee.



My God, I love Thee; not because

I hope for heaven thereby,

Nor yet because who love Thee not

May eternally die.



Thou, O my Jesus, Thou didst me

Upon the cross embrace;

For me didst bear the nails and spear,

And manifold disgrace.



And griefs and torments numberless,

And sweat of agony;

E’en death itself; and all for man

Who was Thine enemy.



Then why, O blessèd Jesus Christ

Should I not love Thee well?

Not for the hope of winning heaven,

Nor of escaping hell.



Not with the hope of gaining aught,

Nor seeking a reward,

But as Thyself hast lovèd me,

O everlasting Lord!



E’en so I love Thee, and will love,

And in Thy praise will sing,

Solely because Thou art my God,

And my eternal King.




Addendum 12/6: Kensy Joseph at Lethargic IITian, writing in India, has posted several entries this week on St. Francis Xavier, among them a link to this excerpt from Saints For Sinners by Alban Goodier, S.J.



No comments:

Post a Comment