Last Friday, David Skinner at The Weekly Standard posted Stardumb: John Cusack. Not a very good article and I scanned more than read. But the following excerpt from an interview with Cusack on BeliefNet, Is Art Mightier Than War?, caught me.
You were raised Catholic, but in your new movie you play Max Rothman, who is Jewish. How did you prepare for the role?
I was raised Catholic until I was old enough, you know, to say no. My father was great friends with [peace activist] Phil Berrigan, who just passed away. So obviously, I was informed by his kind of radical, left-wing, Jesuit mindset.
It's an odd and revealing error and for some reason went uncorrected at either site. Philip Berrigan was, of course, not a Jesuit but a member of the Josephite Order, whose particular charism was central to his understanding of his priestly ministry. Philip's brother Daniel Berrigan is a Jesuit, but Cusack's confusion seems more than fraternal.
No comments:
Post a Comment