The engraving for January on the Calendar of the Christian Year from The Fellowship of St. James is The Prodigal Son Returns by Gustave Doré, who was born on this date in 1832. It's a wonderful image to contemplate at the beginning of the year, as the example of fatherly patience, forgiveness, and liberality in the parable of Luke 15 is a promise that fills the heart and transcends any alienation. It also, I think, forbids any morbid wallowing in the sins and faults of the past.
Here is the quotation from Saint John Chrysostom that Rev. Patrick Henry Reardon chose to accompany the engraving.
The prodigal son returned to the father, who could not remember what had happened; or rather, who could remember only as many of those things as were capable of moving him to sympathy, mercy, affection, and compassion.
The feast of the Doctor of Preachers is now celebrated on 13 September, but the traditional date in the Roman calendar was 27 January.
There's another reason that it's good to remember the Doctor of Preachers today. January 6 is also the anniversary of the conversion experience of that great preacher Charles Haddon Spurgeon in 1850. He records that it came during a sermon on the text of Isaiah 45:22 — Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is none else. Spurgeon describes the aftermath in his Autobiography: And as the snow fell on my road home from the little house of prayer, I thought every snowflake talked with me and told of the pardon I had found, for I was white as the driven snow through the grace of God.
All of us prodigal, all of us broken, all of us bereft and longing. But his mercies are new every morning. And, as Rich Mullins sang in Growing Young (Copyright 1992 - Edward Grant, Inc., 1992 - Kid Brothers of St. Frank Publishing),
I've gone so far from my home
I've seen the world and I have known
So many secrets
I wish now I did not know
'Cause they have crept into my heart
They have left it cold and dark
And bleeding,
Bleeding and falling apart
And everybody used to tell me big boys don't cry
Well I've been around enough to know that that was the lie
That held back the tears in the eyes of a thousand prodigal sons
Well we are children no more, we have sinned and grown old
And our Father still waits and He watches down the road
To see the crying boys come running back to His arms
And be growing young
Growing young
I've seen silver turn to dross
Seen the very best there ever was
And I'll tell you, it ain't worth what it costs
And I remember my father's house
What I wouldn't give right now
Just to see him and hear him tell me that he loves me so much
And everybody used to tell me big boys don't cry
Well I've been around enough to know that that was the lie
That held back the tears in the eyes of a thousand prodigal sons
Well we are children no more, we have sinned and grown old
And our Father still waits and He watches down the road
To see the crying boys come running back to His arms
And when I thought that I was all alone
It was your voice I heard calling me back home
And I wonder now Lord
What it was that made me wait so long
And what kept You waiting for me all that time
Was Your love stronger than my foolish pride
Will You take me back now, take me back and let me be Your child
'Cause I've been broken now, I've been saved
I've learned to cry, and I've learned how to pray
And I'm learning, I'm learning even I can be changed
And everybody used to tell me big boys don't cry
Well I've been around enough to know that that was the lie
That held back the tears in the eyes of a thousand prodigal sons
Well we are children no more, we have sinned and grown old
And our Father still waits and He watches down the road
To see the crying boys come running back to His arms
And be growing young
Growing young
Growing young
+
+
+
My younger brother Vince was also born on this date.
Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine.
Et lux perpetua luceat ei.
Requiescat in pace. Amen
+
+
+
No comments:
Post a Comment