Augustus Montague Toplady, preacher, controversialist, minister of the Church of England, was born on this date in 1740. His great hymn, said to have been conceived as he sheltered himself during a storm amidst the rocks of Cheddar Gorge in England, was written in 1776 on the text of 1 Corinthians 10: 1-4.
Moreover, brethren, I would not that you should be ignorant of the fact that our forefathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea. They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
Rock of Ages
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.
Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.
Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment