On November 7, 1837, Elijah Parish Lovejoy, whose arguments in the anti-slavery newspaper The Saint Louis Observer were deeply influenced by The Second Great Awakening, was killed by a pro-slavery mob while defending his press.
Will Lamartine Thompson was born in East Liverpool, Ohio, on the same date ten years later, in 1847. The evangelist Dwight Moody, on his deathbed, spoke to Thompson about one of his hymns, saying "Will, I would rather have written Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling than anything I have been able to do in my whole life."
In keeping with the theme of exile in the last couple of entries, another of Thompson's fine hymns may be more appropriate to the anniversary.
Lead Me Gently Home, Father
Lead me gently home, Father,
Lead me gently home,
When life’s toils are ended
And parting days have come;
Sin no more shall tempt me,
Ne’er from Thee I’ll roam,
If Thou’lt only lead me, Father,
Lead me gently home.
Lead me gently home, Father,
Lead me gently home.
Lest I fall upon the wayside,
Lead me gently home.
Lead me gently home, Father,
Lead me gently home,
In life’s darkest hours, Father,
When life’s troubles come;
Keep my feet from wand’ring,
Lest from Thee I roam,
Lest I fall upon the wayside,
Lead me gently home.
No comments:
Post a Comment