Sunday, October 20, 2002

Five hours on a crisp and sun-drenched Sunday spent aboard an Amtrak Acela Express from Philadelphia to Boston. Slight changes of color in the trees as we moved north and in the mountains to the west the changes are further advanced, but here on the Atlantic Plain the foliage is just beginning the annual show. Other sensations on the trip, too. No matter how many times seen, there are few sights like the Manhattan skyline, but the sense now of what's missing still catches you and leaves the vista suddenly tinged with ache and sadness and loss. It was very good after that to have the immense distances of the blue-grey sea along the Connecticut coast, to see families out for a seaside walk on the shingles, fisherman on the piers or up to their waists in waders, the bright whiteness of boats in the marinas or out on the water, the answering whiteness of church steeples. But I hadn't spent so long on a train since the many rides on the Crescent from Philadelphia to Charlottesville. I'm glad of today's experience -- it's a good train. But, after commuter rail trips at each end of the Acela ride and capped by a taxi to the hotel, I'm glad too to have arrived now in North Andover. I'm entering this at a terminal in the McQuade Library at Merrimack College.



Rev. Vincent McQuade, O.S.A. was the founder of the college and possessed of all the gifts that such a phrase implies. I had the privilege of knowing him in his last years at Villanova University when he was an official of the Augustinian Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova and remember now not only his educational achievements but the dedication of his priestly ministry, as well as his fondness for my sisters and his great personal kindness to me.



I made the trip north in order to be present at the celebration of the priestly anniversary of a friend from prep school and college. The Mass of Thanksgiving will be tomorrow afternoon in the Collegiate Church of Christ the Teacher at Merrimack College.



Be Thou My Vision



Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;

Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art

Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,

Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.



Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;

I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;

Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;

Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.



Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;

Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;

Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:

Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.



Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,

Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:

Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,

High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.



High King of heaven, my victory won,

May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s Sun!

Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,

Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.




No comments:

Post a Comment