Thursday, October 31, 2002

The scholar Rochelle I. Altman in the Israeli Insider on the ossuary said to be that of Saint James.



Ossuary was genuine, inscription was faked



As an expert on scripts and an historian of writing systems, I was asked to examine this inscription and make a report. I did.



The bone-box is original; the first inscription, which is in Aramaic, "Jacob son of Joseph," is authentic. The second half of the inscription, "brother of Jesus," is a poorly executed fake and a later addition. This report has already been distributed on at least two scholarly lists.



Please note that the fraud is so blatant that I did not bother to go into extreme detail on whether the faked addition is supposed to be Hebrew or Aramaic.




The report follows the article.



Many thanks to Orrin at Brothers Judd for the link.



No comments:

Post a Comment