Thursday, September 19, 2002

It seemed intend­ed by the bless­ed prov­i­dence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dis­pen­sa­tion. If per­fect earth­ly sight were of­fered me to­mor­row I would not ac­­cept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been dis­tract­ed by the beau­ti­ful and in­ter­est­ing things about me. ----- Fanny Crosby



Her name was one of those I submitted when Mark Byron was compiling his list of the 100 most influential Americans a few weeks ago. Fanny Crosby deserves a place on such a list, certainly, but I also intended the nomination as a gesture of respect for a remarkable Christian woman and one to whom I owe an immense debt. Here are the words of one of her more than 6000 hymns, Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior



Pass me not, O gentle Savior,

Hear my humble cry;

While on others Thou art calling,

Do not pass me by.



Let me at Thy throne of mercy

Find a sweet relief;

Kneeling there in deep contrition,

Help my unbelief.



Trusting only in Thy merit,

Would I seek Thy face;

Heal my wounded, broken spirit,

Save me by Thy grace.



Thou the spring of all my comfort,

More than life to me;

Whom have I on earth beside Thee?

Whom in heaven but Thee?




Refrain:

Savior, Savior, hear my humble cry,

While on others Thou art calling,

Do not pass me by.










No comments:

Post a Comment