Friday, September 27, 2002

On The Bible Study Hour today, Dr. Boice continued his exposition of Genesis 45. Joseph has revealed himself and his identity to the brothers who had sold him into slavery so many years before and he now tries to reassure them in his love for them, asking that they draw near. The sermon has the title Come! Come!, and Dr. Boice draws the parallels using the richness and warmth of that word. How frequently in Scripture it is the pivotal word, the message of hope and reassurance, the invitation to fellowship and life in the presence of God.



In Matthew 11:28: Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.



The special promise and invitation of Matthew 19:14 and Luke 18:16: But Jesus called them unto him, and said, suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.



It is the insistent word used by those who stood witness to the transforming grace of the presence, words and person of Jesus.



The woman at the well who hurries to her village to spread the good news in John 4:29: Come see a man who told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?



In John 1:44-46, Philip going to find Nathanael and to tell him that the Law and the Prophets are fulfilled in this man Jesus of Nazareth: And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip said to him, Come and see.



The angel standing watch at the empty tomb who gives the triumphant account to the women in Mark 16:6: He is risen. He is not here. Come and see the place where they laid Him.



Other passages will surely come to your mind. All of them reminders of how gracious is the call and invitation, the promise that He will make us welcome home.



Just As I Am



Just as I am, without one plea,

But that Thy blood was shed for me,

And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.



Just as I am, and waiting not

To rid my soul of one dark blot,

To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.



Just as I am, though tossed about

With many a conflict, many a doubt,

Fightings and fears within, without,

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.



Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;

Sight, riches, healing of the mind,

Yea, all I need in Thee to find,

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.



Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,

Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;

Because Thy promise I believe,

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.



Just as I am, Thy love unknown

Hath broken every barrier down;

Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,

O Lamb of God, I come, I come.



Just as I am, of that free love

The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,

Here for a season, then above,

O Lamb of God, I come, I come!






No comments:

Post a Comment